Prince of Wales Sea Training School
UNVEILING AND REDEDICATION
OF WWII PLAQUE AT INGHAM
Page 1 - Parade
The Prince of Wales Sea Training School was based in Dover for
twenty-two years. The School, then known as the Prince of Wales
Sea Training Hostel, was founded in Limehouse, London, in 1920,
and in 1940 moved to Ingham in Norfolk. Eight years later it was
re-named The Prince of Wales Sea Training School, and in 1953 it
moved to Dover.
In 1975 the School closed, having trained nearly 5,000 boys aged
between 15 and 17 as deck ratings, many of whom went on to
attain high maritime positions. The School also provided
engineering course for lads returning after two years at sea.
The School building, after having been used by Dover College as
a dormitory, now lies empty.
85 boys from the School lost their lives in the Second World
War. The commemorative plaque moved with the School to Dover,
and on closure of the School found a new home in the Seafarers'
Centre in Snargate Street. In 2007 it was moved to Holy Trinity
Church, Ingham, where many of the boys had worshipped during
their sixteen-week training courses.
On 20th May the rededication and unveiling ceremony was held at
the church. The Dover War Memorial Project were privileged
to attend. Organised by Andy Gale, the United Kingdom Director of the
Prince of Wales Sea Training School Society, the events began
with a parade and march from the village hall to the church.
above: mustering the parade
left: Elsie Davies, Captain W L Smedley (MN retired),
and May McCandless
(Ms Davies is currently the only female
standard bearer in the Merchant Navy Association)
Brian Gray, with the wreath he made
arrival at the church
There were over 200 guests, including many old boys of the PWSTS.
below: Sea Scouts, entering the church
Simon John Chambers