THE  DOVER WAR MEMORIAL  PROJECT

 

war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper


London Road Primitive Methodist Church

GREAT WAR WINDOW


History

The window was unveiled on 8th October 1919 in the presence of clergy from many churches and a large congregation. It was on the west wall of the building, opposite the pulpit. It was destroyed by enemy action in World War II.

The window depicted the Good Shepherd, and, inscribed above were the words "Feed My Lambs" Beneath was the following:



To the Glory of God and in Undying Memory of the Following, who Gave their Lives in the Defence of Righteousness, Liberty, and Honour
 

Private Gerald P Goldstraw
26th Royal Fusiliers
killed in France
October 7th 1916
Sergeant Edward A. Evans
22nd Royal Fusiliers
killed in France
April 22nd 1917
Battery Quartermaster Sergeant
William G. Spinner MM
RGA, died in Active Service
November 12th 1918

Greater Love has no Man than this, That a Man lay down his Life for his Friends John XV 13

 

During the unveiling Rev Goldstraw spoke of the three Fallen men, one of whom was his son and only child. He said that they could not hold him back, and in September 1915 he joined the Bankers' Battallion, and in little more than a year, when he was about to come home for a commission, he fell mortally wounded on the Somme. Before passing away he was sufficiently forgetful of his wounds to cheer up others mortally wounded lying by his side in a shell hole. He died a few hours afterwards, and was buried where he fell, in some unknown grave, just before the dawn of the first day of the week.

Sergeant Evans was a professional soldier and had married into a family connected with the church. William Spinner was a gunner in the Territorial RGA when war broke out and went to France, becoming a battery quartermaster sergeant. For his valiant services ther he gained a Military Medal. He escaped serious injury throughout the was until six weeks before the Armistice, when he became seriously ill. He died the day after the Armistice was signed. He had been married in the church by Rev Goldstraw only five months previously.

with  thanks to Tony Belsey

The London Road Church is now known as The Beacon, and is also the combined home for St Columba and the Tower Hamlets Wesleyan Mission
 



Copyright 2006-14 Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved