war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper

Plaques and Panels

Memorial Home Latest News Casualty Index Information Index Search Forum

Plaques and Panels Crosses and Monuments Miscellaneous


General view of the Salvation Army building, by Simon Chambers plaque on Salvation Army building, stating "Built 1913, Destroyed by Enemy Action 1940, Rebuilt to the Glory of God 1955", photo by Simon Chambers
The Salvation Army, High Street Plaque


plaque, Presented to the people of Dover by the 52nd (Norwegian) Minelaying Flotilla, to commemorate their service out of the port from 1942 to 1945, and their lost comrades", photo by Simon Chambers Minelaying Flotilla Garden, by Simon Chambers
Norwegian Mine-Laying Flotilla In this garden on the corner of Pencester and Maison Dieu Roads
(St Paul's shrine can be seen behind)


plaque below the cash machines of the bank, by Simon Chambers

National Westminster Bank, Market Square
"This Bank was rebuilt in 1957-8, the earlier building having been partly destroyed by enemy shelling 1940-44. The flints used in this wall were taken from the Monastery Church of St Martin-Le-Grand, which once stood on this site"

view of the bank, by Simon Chambers

Above the door is written "Dover Old Bank 1760"

Inside the bank is the plaque and photograph (right). The photo is of Raymond Brett.

The plaque reads:

"A tribute
to the 2681 members
of the staff of this Bank
 who served in
the Great War
and in honoured memory of
the 415 who gave their
lives for their country"



by Simon Chambers On the Promenade at the Sea Front
"Es flogen gegen England" - It flew against England
The panel gives the dates shells were fired from a long range gun at Sangatte

Presented to the Town of Dover
by the British Legion, Calais Branch

Section of armoured plating dismantled from one of the German long range guns at Sangatte, Calais. The 84 rounds recorded formed part of the 2226 shells fired from these batteries at the harbour and town of Dover during the period 1940 to 1944. The gun was captured by Canadian forces in 1944, and it was they who presented the plating.



On the Promenade at the Sea Front
Dunkirk 1940
The image shows a soldier carrying a wounded comrade ashore, while an attack goes on around them

The plaque beneath reads:

This memorial was erected on the 16th August 1975, the 35th Anniversary of the Battle of Dunkirk
During the Period May 10th to 1st June 1940, 202,306 British, British Commonwealth, and Allied Troops were evacuated to Dover.
The Memorial not only pays tribute to the bravery and discipline of the servicemen, but to the courage of the crews of the armada of little ships which assisted, and the people of the Port of Dover who received them

Dunkirk memorial, by Simon Chambers


To commemorate all men and women, both service and civilians, who lived, served, and died in East Kent. "Front Line Britain" 1939-1945. This plaque was unveiled by Countess Mountbatten of Burma, CBE, CD, JP, EL 26th September 1994, photo by Simon Chambers
Opposite the Dunkirk memorial, on the Sea Front for more about the monument, see Dover Front Line


At the entrance to the war-time tunnels, Dover Castle

To commemorate
the 120th, 124th, 135th, 126th, 127th, 134th
A A A Gun Battalions US Army
which were controlled from
this Castle Headquarters during
Operation Crossbow
in combat against the V1 Flying Bombs
and were credited with a total of
854 kills
during the summer of 1944
placed here by the veterans of the above units 25th September 1994



Opposite this building stood the Royal Hippodrome


This plaque renewed by impact 1995

street sign, Snargate Street

Here stood the Royal Hippodrome, a playhouse since 1790, demolished 1950 subsequent to damage in the second world war. Most of the stars of old-time music hall appeared at this theatre. Proprietor 1`936 to 1947 H Roberts Armstrong.
Erected by Dover Harbour Board 1968



"Near this spot on the 10th November 1920 the body of the Unknown Warrior was brought ashore from HMS Verdun on the way to its final resting place at Westminster Abbey"

The Dover Society 1997

displayThis display is at the Cruise Terminal, formerly the Marine Station.

The plaque above the picture of the Unknown Warrior's coffin being carried reads, "Pilgrimage November 1997" "British Torch of Remembrance"

The plaque below the one left reads, "This memorial was unveiled 17th May 1997 by General Sir Charles Guthrie GCB LVO OBE ADC Gen"

The remains of Nurse Edith Cavell were also brought into Dover - the illustration shows the procession along the sea front

.nurse Edith Cavell's remains brought back, courtesy Dover Express



At St Mary's church there is a plaque, commemorating a peal of 5040 of Grandsire Triples on 14 May 1919.

It was  "rung with the bells deeply muffled in token of respect to Edith Cavell, whose body arrived during the ringing and rested in the town till the following morning"

Edith Cavell was buried at Norwich cathedral on 19 May 1919. A plaque by her grave reads, "Edith Cavell was born at Cavell House, Swardestone, Norwich, on December 4 1865. As Matron of a hospital in Brussels she tended with great devotion the wounded of enemy and allied forces alike. For helping many of our men to escape she was sentenced to death and was shot on October 12 1915. "Standing as I do in view of God and eternity I realised that patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone."."

Just outside the cathedral walls is also a memorial to her, where "Miss Edith Cavell" roses were planted on 6 March 2003.


This cherry tree was planted on the 6th August 1989 to mark the anniversary of Hiroshima Day in the hope that such an event will never happen again (tree at St Paul's)

small tree
houses, by Simon Chambers After World War II, Belgian people helped rebuild homes for Dovorians. The houses left are by Effingham Crescent

plaque, by Simon Chambers

The plaque on the wall reads: On May 14th 1946 M Leon Elie Trodet Belgian Minister of Labour and Social Security unveiled this tablet to commemorate the arrival of Belgian Workers who as a token of gratitude and admiration came to help in the rebuilding of  Dover, outpost of freedom from 1939-1945

plaque by Simon Chambers houses, by Simon Chambers

Others are at Barton Road. The tablet in the centre of the first storey reads: This tablet was erected as a token of the gratitude of the people of Dover to the Belgian workers who rebuilt these houses and assisted in the rehabilitation of the town after the World War 1939-1945. Arthur T Goodfellow, Mayor, May 1947  (See here for more information)

Town Hall, Simon Chambers plaque

There are a number of plaques in the Town Hall, in which are two large chambers, the Connaught and the Stone Halls.

In this hall and the one adjoining, on 18th October 1944, their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth met a representative gathering of the people of Dover, who, during its bombardment by the enemy from July 1940 to September 1944, had kept watch and ward of their town

For God, King, and Country
Old Contemptibles Association - Aug 5 to Nov 22 1914
Mons Marne Aisne Ypres
In proud remembrance of the old Contemptibles.
The British Expeditionary Force who fought odds untold.
Greater love hath no man than this,
That a man lay down his life for his chums. 

A pair of plaques:

127th AAA - The 127th Anti Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion US Army salutes the people of Dover for their courage in the defence of Great Britain. We shared with them against German flying bombs and shells in 1944

Shrapnel from 15 in German gun fired at Dover from Cap Gris-Nez, France, September 10, 1944, killing Pvt Robert Nisewonger, US Army, while on guard duty. Found by PFC James D Jones, A Btry, 127 AAA Gun Bn US Army. In WWII Dover was called Hells Fire Corner. Presented to the people of Dover August 16 1944 as a memento of the shelling they endured. 

the shrapnel
Chapel plaque

This chapel (was Wesley Methodist, now owned by Dover College) is in Folkestone Road, and is next to the site where a bomb killed Dorothy Wood in 1917. The plaque is on the right hand front corner of the chapel.

Built 1910, Bombed 1917,
Rebuilt 1920, Bombed 1941,
Restored 1949

Above: the Lord Warden Hotel

The plaque was unveiled on 10 July 2010 by Admiral the Lord Boyce, GCB OBE DL Lord Warden and Admiral of the Cinque Ports, Constable of Dover Castle.

The plaque reads: Coastal forces of World War II. HMS Wasp. This plaque commemorates the men and women of Allied Coastal Forces who served with the Royal Navy at HMS Wasp at Dover between 1940 and 1944. This building was then the Lord Warden Hotel and was used as Coastal Forces Headquarters and accommodation. . From HMS Wasp Motor Torpedo Boats, Motor Gunboats and Motor Launches carried out vital operations against enemy naval forces and protected British shipping in the Channel and North Sea. Many gave their lives and their skill and courage made an invaluable contribution to the success of the war at sea. We will remember them.


This stone is at the entrance to the Prince of Wales Pier (see right). Note the bottom two lines of the inscription


The plaque (right) is in the Scout hut, Eaves Hall, Eaves Road (both of which are named after Tommy Eaves, who was killed in the Third Battle of the Somme, 1916).

The plaque reads: St Martins. In honour and loving memory of our Scouts and Rovers 1914-1918 1939-1945. Theirs was the supreme sacrifice.


This plaque, Granville Street, on the Unipart centre wall,  was renewed in February 2011 by The Dover Sociey and the new Charlton (pronounced "Chorlton") School


Unveiled on 12 May 2013 were two plaques of similar wording, one bronze and the other aluminium. Respectively they are outside the fire station in Ladywell and in the reception at Dover Harbour Board.

The words read:

Wartime Raid on Dover Harbour. At 7.45 am on 29th July, the harbour was attacked by 30 Stukas protected by 50 |Messerschmitts. Incendiaries started a fire on HMS Sandhurst, a Royal Navy supply ship moored next to HMS Codrington, a destroyer sunk in a previous attack. Ruptured oil pipes caused a further blaze, which was about the engulf the entire ship. Dover firement rushed to fight the fire. A second air raid warning sounded and they were ordered to abandon the ship.  The first spread, turning the deck plates white-hot and threatening the torpedoes, ammunition and fuel on board. Despite the attack, and with a massive explosion likely at any moment, the firemen returned to tackle the blaze and managed to gain control after a twelve hour struggle. HMS Sandhurst was badly damaged but still seaworthy, and, a few days later, sailed to the Thames for repairs. Three of the firemen were awarded the George Medal and six received Commendations. The medals were among the first to be awarded and were presented by King George VI at Buckingham Palace on 27th May 1941.

Recipients of the George Medal were:
Dover Fire Brigade Ernest Herbert Harmer Executive Chief Officer
  Cyril William Arthur Brown Second Officer
Auxiliary Fire Service Alexander Edmund Campbell Section Officer

The citation comments, "In a large-scale attack by enemy bombers on Dover Harbour, all members of the Dover Fire Brigade and Auxiliary Fire Service did excellent work in difficult and dangerous circumstances"

Recipients of the King's Commendation for Brave Conduct
Dover Fire Brigade Harold Thomas Hockings Station Officer
  Ernest Alfred Foord Fireman
  Edward Jesse Gore Fireman
Auxiliary Fire Service Arthur Thomas Cunnington Auxiliary Fireman
  Lionel Rupert Hudsmith Auxiliary Fireman
  John McDermott Auxiliary Fireman

image of some of the firefighters here

There are many more - please let us know - and if you have photos we'd love to see them!

Plaques and Panels Crosses and Monuments Miscellaneous

Copyright 2010-14 © Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved