THE  DOVER WAR MEMORIAL  PROJECT

 

war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper
 

 

The "We Remember" Booklet 2006

 

DOVER GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS

Old Pharosians (OPs) are the old boys and teachers of the Grammar School for Boys at Astor Avenue. Many served during WWI or WWII.

Memorials at the school include the tablet to 2nd Lieutenant Oliver Tunnell, who was an assistant master. He died 18 days before WWI ended. The Memorial Sports Cup is one of the prizes awarded in his name.

 

The stained glass window (right) features 31 OPs who died in WWI. It was moved with the school when it transferred from Frith Road in 1931.

 

Below the window is kept a beautifully illustrated book recording those who died in WWII. It was created by Charles Rowlands, once an art teacher at the school.

This page (right) from the book is for Pilot Officer Keith Gillman. He was killed in the Battle of Britain. As a Fighter Pilot he featured in the Daily Mail and on the front cover of Picture Post.  

One OP on the window is Alfred Eaves, after whom the road in Dover is named (right).
A memorial bench for OPs is in Granville Gardens on the seafront. The brothers died during WWII.

 

The plaque reads: This seat was presented by Mrs V K Calton in memory of her sons Squadron Leader J H Kirton and Sergeant Pilot D I Kirton

Perhaps the major WWII memorial at the School is the sports pavilion designed and built by Old Pharosians. At the opening ceremony the “Last Post” was played by buglers from the Duke of York’s Royal Military school.

Unfortunately the pavilion has suffered considerable damage by local vandals.

 
Perhaps the best memorial to all brave people who lost their lives in service is that we never forget their deeds.

Dr Peter Burville
Archivist, Dover Grammar School for Boys, Old Pharosians Association

Notes:

1. During consideration of an appropriate memorial for Oliver Tunnell, it was suggested also that there should be a history prize, in perpetuity. Subscriptions to total £25 to £30 were invited from boys, parents, and friends to institute the memorial

2. A report in the Dover Express, dated 14th March 2007, states that the Sports Pavilion was opened by Eddie Crush, 0n 26 June 1954. Edmund Crush had been a pupil at the Grammar School from 1928 to 1936, and became President of the Old Pharosians in 1957. During the second World War he served in the Royal Engineers, rose to the rank of Major, and was awarded the Military Cross. He was wounded in the Normandy landings.

Mr Crush was also a keen cricketer. He was capped in 1948, and played for Kent between 1946 and 1949, scoring just over 1`,000 runs, and taking 83 wickets, with an average of 38. He best bowling figure was six for 50, and he was renowned for dismissing the great Australian batsman Don Bradman in 1949 at Canterbury. 

Mr Crush died on 9th June 2007, at the age of 89.

Right, the front page of of programme for the dedication of the Sports Pavilion. The hymn "O God our help in ages past" and the National Anthem were sung, and the Last Post, followed by The Silence, was sounded. The Programme concludes with a Roll of Honour of the Fallen. Should you wish to know more of the contents, do contact us, quoting set number 1105




Copyright 2006-12 © Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved