war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper

World War I



Surnames N

AJ Nash, courtesy Dover ExpressNash, A. J.
Arthur James Nash, G/24262. He was 20 when he was killed in action on 1st August 1917, and he is commemorated on the Ypres Menin Gate memorial in Belgium. He was in the 8th battalion of The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) (formerly 3020, East Kent Regiment), serving as a Lance Corporal.

Born and living in Dover, he went to St Mary's school, and was the youngest son of William and Mary Jane Nash, of 24 Ladywell Place, Dover  He enlisted in Canterbury.

Nash, J. R.
John Robert Nash, M/316133, born around 1879, was the son of Alfred Nash, a police inspector, and Jane, formerly Fagg, who had married in Dover in 1870. In 1909 he married Kathleen Kennett, also in Dover, and in 1911 the couple were living at 3 Victoria Crescent, Dover with John working as a carman for a builders' merchant firm. Visiting them was his mother, then a widow.  

John enlisted in Dover, and on 4 October 1918 he was killed in action as a Private in the Royal Army Service Corps, 565th MT Company, attached to the VI Corps Heavy Artillery. He is buried in the Louverval Military Cemetery, Doignies in France, A5.

Note: Inspector Nash, popular, advancing quickly in his career, and said to be eminently trustworthy, reliable, and upright, had served 35 years in the police force when he was killed helping launch the lifeboat to the aid of two men in a hopper barge adrift in a severe gale at 1.40 am on 11 September 1903. The wind twisted the lifeboat just before it was launched and drove it into a fence. A wheel of the lifeboat carriage ran over his back; it was later discovered that the toe of his right boot, his right leg having been doubled beneath him, had penetrated his heart. He died instantly. The two men remained on their barge, declining rescue on two occasions when a tug put out to them, and in the morning returned to shore unharmed having been picked up by the passenger steamer Britannia. Inspector Nash is buried at Charlton.

Neill, C. S.
Charles S. Neill, S/10607, was born in Lydd to Mr James H H Neill, a Sergeant in the Royal Artillery,  and his wife Amelia, who later lived at 9 Westbury Road, Dover. He enlisted in Dover, and served as a Private in the 1st battalion of The Buffs, having been in the 3rd (reserve) battalion in France in the early part of 1915.. He had been reported as missing, and then as a prisoner of war, after having been severely wounded in February 1917.

When he recovered from his wounds he was employed on various works by his captors. He was able to send letters to his parents; the last they received from him was dated 30th October 1918, from Soltan, stating he was well. They were informed of his death in 7th February 1919 by the Central Prisoners of War Committee (British Red Cross Society), after a fellow prisoner of war who had recently returned had notified the Committee that Private Neill had died in hospital in Germany from the "Spanish sickness". His death occurred on 30th  (Soldiers Died says 1st) November 1918. He is buried in Hamburg cemetery in Germany, and it is believed he was the only listed Dovorian POW who had not returned home. .

There were three sons still serving in the Royal Artillery in early 1919, all of whom had been wounded, and one severely. Two of the sons were in the RGA. One received his commission 1917 for services in the field, and became a captain in command of a POW camp in France. The third had joined the BEF in France in October 1914, as a trumpeter, and, after having served throughout the Great War, was then part of the army of occupation in Germany. The extended family could boast fifteen sons who had served in the army or the navy during the Great War. 

F Newland, courtesy Dover ExpressNewland, F. T.
Frederick  Thomas Newland, G/237, was a Private in 6th battalion of The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). He was 21 when he was killed in action on 13th or 14th October 1915, and is commemorated on the Loos memorial in France, panel 15-19.

Before enlisting in dover he was a baker at the premises of Mr Holmes Morris. He was born and lived in Dover; "the dearly beloved only son" of the late Thomas and Sarah Newland, formerly of 6 Alexandra Place, Buckland. 


in memoriam annoucement, courtesy Dover Express Oh teach me from my heart to say,
Thy will be done.

JW Newman, courtesy Dover ExpressNewman, J. W. 
John William Newman, G/9733, was a Private in the 6th battalion of the Buffs (East Kent regiment). He was killed in action on 7th October 1916, when he was 35. He now lies in Bancourt British cemetery in France.

Enlisting in Dover, he was, before the war, for many years employed by Messrs R. Dickeson. He was born and lived in Dover and was the son of George Newman, of 42 Snargate Street, Dover. Mrs Newman of 29 Balfour Road requested that he should be put on the Memorial.

PC Newman, courtesy Dover ExpressNewman, P. C.
Percy Chester Newman, G/13566, was a Lance Corporal in the "D" company of the 6th battalion of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Before the war he was a clerk with the Clyde Shipping company at Dover, and a member of the Territorial battalion of the Buffs, joining in April 1908 from 6 Barton View, Buckland.

When war broke out Percy volunteered for foreign service. He enlisted in Dover and he went to India in October 1914, and thence to Aden. In October 1916 he returned to England, and in December 1916 he went to France. He was killed in action on 2nd May 1917, aged 27, and is commemorated on the Arras memorial in France.

PC Newman, Arras memorial, by Michelle and Andy CooperHe was the son of Fred and Annie Newman, born in St Mary's, Dover, on 7 December 1889. He was christened at Charlton Church on 16 March 1890, and there his parents were given as Matthew, a commercial traveller, and Anne, living at 1 Spring Gardens, Dover.

 In the 1891 census Percy had become a nursechild, living at 38 St Peter's Street, in the home of Daniel Borrett, a cordwainer, and his wife Lucy. One of their children was Bernard George Borrett, linked by marriage to Frances Charles Weller and John Collon Fox. In 1911 Percy was still at 6 Barton View, the home of Charles and Eliza Croft, where he was designated a lodger. Mrs Croft was the daughter of Daniel and Lucy Borrett.

Percy was the husband of Daisy May Simmonds (formerly Newman), of The Gothic Inn, Snargate Street, Dover. The couple had married at 2.30pm on Christmas Day, 1913, at St James, attended by four bridesmaids. Daisy referred to Percy  as her "dearly loved husband".

Percy's Captain wrote to Daisy, who then lived at 6 Barton View, Dover, and who was the daughter of Mr and Mrs W. Tart, saying "He will be greatly missed by us all, he was such a splendid fellow and good soldier. He laid down his life fighting hard in the fiercest fighting that has taken place during the war."

Newman, R. H.
Reginald Henry Newman, 374112, was a Rifleman n the 8th (City of London) battalion of the London Regiment (Post Office Rifles). He died of wounds on 25th April 1917 when he was 29. He is buried at the Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

He was born in Dover. He was the son of William Ingram Newman and Sophia Catherine Newman, of 1, Queen Street, Dover. He lived in Dover, but enlisted in Canterbury.

Newton, A. W.
Albert William Newton. In December 1913 the local paper mentions an Albert William Newton who was serving in the RMLI.

He may be the person who was Acting Sergeant, CH 17111 in the 1st Royal Marines Battalion, Royal Naval Division and killed on 3 September 1918. He was the son of Frederick Newton of 123 Regent or Reginald Road, Eastney, Hampshire. Acting Sergeant Newton was born on 16 Jun 1894 in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland. He is buried in the Queant Road British Cemetery, Buissy, France, VF 29.

Nicholas, H. C.
Henry Charles Nicholas - possibly below?

Nicholass, H.
Henry Charles Nicholass, 2163, was a Gunner in the 1st.2nd battery of the RFA (3rd Home counties). He was 23 when he died on 27th May 1916 at the War Hospital, Colaba, India.  He is commemorated on the Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial, India. 

He was the only son of Henry Richard and Louisa Jane Nicholass, of 16, Peter Street., Dover, formerly 2 Spring Gardens.

Nimmo, A. C. 
Alfred Charles Nimmo, K/4760, was born on 30 September 1889 at Headcorn, Kent. He was the son of Alfred Charles Nimmo and Mary née Goldsmith, of 166 Union Road, Buckland, Dover. The couple had married in 1889, and in 1901 the family were living at 42 Longfield Road, Dover, and Mr Nimmo was working as a carpenter. With them were four children, Alfred, aged 11, William, aged 9, born in London, and Alice, aged 2, and Ellen, aged 7 months, both born in Dover.

Alfred served in the Royal Navy, acting as Leading Stoker. He was killed at the aged of 25 when his ship, HMS "Princess Irene", exploded off Sheerness on 27 May 1915 when she was being loaded with mines. The explosion was massive, with debris and human remains thrown over 20 miles. Some 350 people were killed, and a number of people inland injured, with one young girl fatally so.

Alfred Nimmo is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial.

At Sheerness is a grave, sq DD 66 (right), for one of the few recovered bodies. This is for civilian shipwright "Arthur Harold, the second son of Thomas and Augusta Grout, whose work on earth was ended by the explosion on HMS Princess Irene, May 27th 1913, aged 27 years. "Faithful unto Death"

Norman, E. J.
(G?) Edward James Norman, 30999, was an Acting Sergeant in the 1st battalion of the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment (formerly G/27661 in the Middlesex Regiment). He was killed in action in France on 27th September 1918.

He was born in Folkestone and enlisted in Margate. Mrs Blackburn, from 144 Mayfield Avenue, requested that his name should be placed on the Town Memorial

FJ Norris, courtesy Dover ExpressNorris, F. J. 
Frank John Norris was born on 16 January 1883 and christened on 5 July 1885 at St Mary, Dover, on the same occasion as was his brother Edward, born 15 October 1879. They were the sons of Richard Edward Norris a tailor, and his wife Elizabeth Ann, née Corbett, born 27 May 1845, from 5 Chapel Lane. The couple had married on 5 July 1868 at St Mary, when both were living at Limekiln Street.

In 1871 the family were at 4 Woolcomber Street. There were three sons, Edward, born about 1868, Henry B (possibly registered as Richard B S), about 1870, and William George, about 1871. Also there were George Corbett, born in 1798, grandfather, and Alfred Corbett, a cousin aged 14. There was a family lodging too, John Child, a mariner, with his wife Maria and their eight months daughter Mary.

By 1881 the Norris family had been joined by Frances Elizabeth, born about 1873, Eliza Ann, 1874, and Herbert Edward, about 1876. Mr Norris died in February 1885 and was buried at St Mary from 5 Chapel Lane. Mrs Norris and her family by 1891 had moved to 16 Chapel Place, and Mrs Norris was a tailoress. At home with her were Edward, by now a commission agent, Henry, a fishmonger's assistant, William, a blacksmith's apprentice, and Herbert, and there were three more sons, Richard, born 7 May 1882 (or 81), Frank John, 1883, and Frederick, born about 1889. Frances (as "Fanny") may have become a domestic servant in Southwark. Eliza may have been a servant at 11 Chapel Street.

By 1901 the family were at 2 Dour Street, and at home were Henry, a labourer, Herbert, a cork cutter, Richard, a blacksmith, Frank, a barman, and Fred, still at school. By 1911 Mrs Norris had changed her occupation, from tailor to a fried fish shop worker, alongside Henry and Herbert who were still at home with her, this time at 162 Snargate Street. Mrs Norris had had twelve children, of whom three by then had died. She later moved to 11 Commercial Quay.

Frank, meanwhile, had become an upholsterer, and on 3 August 1908, still living at 2 Dour Street, had married at SS Peter and Paul, Charlton, Dover, Mercy Matilda Martin, born 8 January 1882. In the wedding picture above are Frank and Mercy Norris, and behind them from left to right are Mercy's sister Olive Maria and her future husband, Frank's brother, Richard Norris, and next to them, Emily, Mercy's sister, with her husband Ernest Parker. The young lady is unknown.

In 1911 Frank and Mercy Norris were living at 130 Heathfield Avenue, with Frank then a porter in a furnishing business. They had a new daughter, Mabel Kathleen, born on 9 June 1909; in 1914 another daughter, Ruby Evelyn, was born.

Frank enlisted in Canterbury, and became G/17932, a Private in the 7th battalion of the East Surrey Regiment. He had seen seven months active service before he was killed in action on 30 April 1917, when he was 34. He was buried at the Feuchy British Cemetery, France. Frank's brother, Herbert Norris, below, was killed three days later.

In ever loving memory of my loving and dearly loved husband, Frank John Norris, of the East Surrey Regiment, who gave his life for his King and country on April 30th, 1917, aged 34. Sleep on, beloved one, until the day break - from his sorrowing Wife, Mother, and Children (130 Heathfield Avenue, Dover)



insceripton on FJ Norris' grave, by Michelle and Andy Cooper FJ Norris, gravestone, by Michelle and Andy Cooper


entrance to Feuchy British cemetery, by Michelle and Andy Cooper Feuchy British Cemetery, by Michelle and Andy Cooper
Entrance to Feuchy British Cemetery - Private Norris's grave is to the right of the entrance (out of shot)  Private Norris's grave is in the foreground row, just
behind the camera position

At the bottom of the gravestone is inscribed:

Father in thy loving keeping
leave we now our loved one sleeping


Mrs Elizabeth Norris died on 20 November 1937 and is buried at Buckland. She had been living with her son, Richard at 117 Heathfield Avenue. Mrs Mercy Norris died in 1974.

Feuchy pictures with thanks to Michelle and Andy Cooper

HE Norris, courtesy Dover Express

Norris, H. E.
Herbert Edward Norris, known as Bert, 60491, was a Private in the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), 9th battalion (formerly in the East Surrey Regiment). He was the brother of Frank, above.

He lived in Marylebone and enlisted in London on 14 June 1916. He was killed less than a year later, on 3 May 1917, three days after his brother, Frank.

He is commemorated on the Arras memorial in France, bay 3.


In loving memory of my dear sons, Herbert and Frank Norris, who were killed in action in France on April 30th and May 3rd 1917. They are gone but not forgotten, Often do we call their names, But there is nothing left to answer, But their pictures in their frames. From their sorrowing Mother, Sisters, and Brothers.


Other brothers who served were:

Richard Norris, who enlisted on 1 December 1916, and was in the Army Ordnance Corps. On 12 December 1908 he married at SS Peter and Paul, Charlton, Dover, Olive Maria Martin, born 2 May 1879, the sister of Mercy (his brother Frank's wife).  Richard died on 18 February 1945, Olive in 1953.

Sapper Fred Norris, who was a Transport Driver in the Royal Engineers

Nowers, L. F. F.
Leslie Fred Filer Nowers, M2/202810, was a Private in the RASC, in the 881st Mechanical Transport Company. He was born and lived in Dover, and enlisted in Canterbury. Before enlisting he was in the anti-aircraft corps, and worked for the Dover Motor Company in Castle Street.

He was 20 when he was reported missing, and later as presumed dead, on 27 June 1917 in the Atlantic Ocean. He is commemorated on the Hollybrook Memorial, Southampton in the United Kingdom, panel 44.  

He had a sister, Mabel, and was the son of bootmaker Frederick George and Laura D. Nowers, of 30 Frith Rd., Dover and formerly (in 1901) of 3 De Burgh Hill.

At the foot of the grave, left, are the words, "Everlasting light and peace".

On their gravestone (left) at Charlton cemetery, Leslie's name was also inscribed. The headstone reads:
In loving Memory of
beloved wife of
Frederick G. Nowers
Died 14th June 1938 Aged 69 Years
Also Leslie, Beloved Only Son of  Above
Killed in Action 27th June 1917
Aged 20 Years
Also of  Frederick George Nowers
Died ? April 1949 Aged 89 Years
Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant

Around the kerbstone is written, "And of their daughter, Mabel Gertrude King, died 30th January 1984, aged 89 years. Dearly loved", and "Also of their son-in-law, Ralph James Oddy King, died 31st October 1951, aged 60 years, whose ashes are interred here"..

The stone on the grave reads, "Hilary Mabel King, 23 August 1923 - 2 May 2009. Daughter of Mabel and Ralph".


the inscription at Hollybrook Memorial


with thanks to Andy and Michelle Cooper

Hollybrook memorial, by Michelle and Andy Cooper

Copyright 2006-14 © Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved