THE  DOVER WAR MEMORIAL  PROJECT

 

war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper


St Martin's School

 

image of plaque, by Michelle Cooper


schoolThis memorial stands in the western entrance of the school, which is in Markland Road. It was unveiled on 11th November 1921 by Sir Edwin Wood Thorp Farley Kt, MBE, Mayor of Dover from 1913 to 1918. He gained his knighthood as Mayor of Dover in World War I.

The memorial was dedicated by the Vicar of St Martins, Rev Edward Colles Robinson, and by the Pastor of Salem Baptist Church, Rev Walter Holyoak.

The memorial is made from marble and alabaster by C A Ashman of Dover.


1914-1919

In proud Memory of the Old Boys of St Martin's School, who fell in the Great War

R AMOS

W E BLANCHE

C M BRETT

J BRINKWORTH

A BROWN

R BROWN

V BROWN

J CLIFTON

W COOK

E COOMBS

T S DENNETT

C G DENNIS

A DUNCAN

A R DUNN

H L DUNN

A T EAVES

V S EVANS

G FOURRE

W FRIEND

F GABBE

H GATES

F GLAYZER

F HALL

T HUNTER

T D JACKSON

T J KNOTT

H LANDALL

R R LETTY

E J LEWRY

R MARTIN

N D MASTERS

F MCLOUGHLIN

C NEILL

E PETIT

F PHIPPS

D S PINK

R REEDER

F RICH

E C SEDGEWICK

L STOKES

A WILLIS

 

THE UNKNOWN

"The glory dies not"

Also of those old boys who made the supreme sacrifice during the years
 1939 to 1945


memorial after unveiling, courtesy Dover Express

 

 

The memorial after it was unveiled.

 

 

 

For the Order of Service, quote set 2066/St Martin's various 2/20-24
For notes on the order and design fo the memorial, quote set 2066/St Martin's Various 5/21-24

(This was Maggie's first school, and she remembers the memorial well, having passed it every day during her time in the junior section)

with thanks to Mr Belsey
with thanks to Phil West for the transcription
picture courtesy Michelle Cooper
 


Copyright 2006-13 Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved