|This 18 feet high memorial is in the former Marine Station, now the Cruise
Terminal, Dover. It was sculpted by W C H King, founded by Mario Manenti of Fulham, and
unveiled on 28th October 1922 by the Chairman
of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Managing Committee, R H
Cosmo-Bonsor. There is a further memorial to the staff of the
Railway at Victoria Station, London.
A board (above) describes the bronze figures on the memorial, while the plaque
at the front of the base of the memorial itself reads:
TO THE IMMORTAL MEMORY OF
THE 556 MEN OF THE SOUTH EASTERN AND CHATHAM RAILWAY
WHO FOUGHT AND DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
AND TO THE 626 MEN OF THE
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE 1939-1945 WAR
men's names are engraved on the Portland Stone wall behind the
memorial, facing the bugler.