THE  DOVER WAR MEMORIAL  PROJECT

 

war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper


Guston

Memorial Home Latest News Casualty Index Information Index Search Forum

ST MARTIN OF TOURS

church at Guston, by Simon Chambers

Dedicated in November 1919, the memorial at this church is the reredos and cross behind the altar. The reredos was designed by Mr Crooke of Guston and made by Messrs Flashman and Co of Dover. The cross is studded with Scottish onyx and made by Messrs Jones and Willis of Great Russell Street, London. On the three steps of the cross are inscribed the words:

Dedicated by the people of Guston to the memory of
Albert James Dixon,
Robert Edward Prior*
who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918.
Grant them O Lord, Eternal Peace

the cross, war memorial, by Simon Chambers

Duke of York's graves

At Guston are buried deceased lads from the Duke of York's Royal Military School

the youngest was Sergeant Monitor P V Barnett, who was 14 years and 6 months when he died on 11th July 1914

at the foot of the central cross is inscribed:

"In Loving Memory
of
Boys of the Duke of York's
Royal Military School
Sons of the Brave, may all be gathered,
Bravest of all, at last to thee!
O Lord, with all they faithful soldiers,
Give us the Palm of Victory!"

* Robert Prior died from heatstroke. He had served two years in the Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force

pictures by Simon John Chambers


Copyright 2006-14 Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved