THE  DOVER WAR MEMORIAL  PROJECT

 

war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper


Upper Road

Memorial Home Latest News Casualty Index Information Index Search Forum

RA and AAA, and RFC MEMORIALS

There are twin memorials on Upper Road (leading from Dover, past the castle, to St Margaret's at Cliffe). On the left is one to the Royal Flying Corps, on the right one for the Royal Artillery and the USA AAA 127th Battery. They are situated overlooking the English channel, as shown in the view below right, and near the former WWII Chain Home radar station. 

the memorials looking out to see from behind the RFC memorial
   
The Royal Flying Corps contingent of the
1914 British Expeditionary Force
consisting of Nos 2, 3, 4, and 5 Squadrons
flew from this field to Amiens
between 13 and 15 August 1914
RFC panel
   
RA AAA panel This monument was erected
in memory of all ranks of the
Royal Regiment of Artillery
and of the 127 AAA Gun By
United States Army who
served in the Dover area

the monument was dedicated on 5 August 1986

   
chain masts
 
Left - the Cover of the Dedication Booklet for the AAA Memorial

 

We have photographs of this booklet. If you wish to know the contents, do please contact us, quoting set 2081/32

pictures Simon John Chambers


Copyright 2006-11 Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved